"So what are we saying . . . two people from a piece of film have decided to go AWOL?"
From Out of the Rain
Season Two, Episode Ten ("An old cinema re-opens and killers from the past emerge to stalk the streets of Cardiff.")
WHAT I LIKED
* The idea of the Night Travellers--creepy and iconic.
* Jack's integration into the history of the circus--shooting oneself in the head (and coming back to life) is quite the trick!
* The musical cues--they fit a "spooky circus" perfectly.
WHAT I DIDN'T
* The plot. The subjects of old film reels walk into reality--seriously? I saw the same plot done a few years back on Big Wolf on Campus, and that show was intentionally cheesy. Not to mention that the solution chosen here--exposing the film to light--was also pretty stupid and anti-climactic.
* The script. Flat, with no wit or character.
* The core premise. Torchwood deals with aliens, science, and strange Rift phenomena. The plot of this episode is presented as supernatural, which undercuts the Whoniverse bedrock that there's a rational explanation for everything (even if it's techno-gobbledygook).
WHAT I'M NOT SURE ABOUT
* A very brief scene--15 or 30 seconds?--of the ringmaster villain silently flirting with a clown.
* Setting up the circus on a budget (the producers are very proud of themselves).
* Coming up with the plot.
* Costuming the villains.
* Filming in the rain (spoiler: it's cold!).
* Composing the music.
* Shooting the bath scene.