"Hey kids, did you miss me?"
Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang, Season Two, Episode One
("Captain Jack returns, as the Torchwood team reunites to fight a rogue Time Agent.")
WHAT I LIKED
* A great opening. Not only is Cap'n Jack back, his first scene with Captain John--fighting and kissing--is enormous fun.
* Captain John! I'm a big James Marsters fan, and he adds the right touch of swagger, menace, and sexy to the role.
* Jack & Ianto agreeing to go on an actual date--a nice nod to their evolving relationship.
* The very end. "I found Gray!" An intriguing pointer to something in Jack's quite-mysterious past . . .
WHAT I DIDN'T
* The blowfish alien. Just seems a bit too jokey to me, much like that goofy shark-headed demon (the "Loan Shark") from Buffy Season Six's Tabula Rasa.
WHAT I'M NOT SURE ABOUT
* Captain John mentions there are only seven Time Agents left--an interesting throwaway remark, that I don't think gets picked up later in the season.
* Unlike Season One, the North American DVD release doesn't contain any episode commentaries. There are deleted scenes, but not for at least the first three episodes.
* Discussion of the Captain John character. The role was apparently written especially for James Marsters. After years of Spike's accent, it's weird hearing the real Marsters in interviews because he has a very American drawl.
* How they filmed the stunts for the Captain John/Captain Jack brawl and the Captain Jack falling from the rooftop scenes.