Friday, October 16, 2009

John Wilbert Dill, Spiritualist

Since Halloween is approaching, I managed to talk one of the players in my Star Wars campaign to direct a Call of Cthulhu one-shot. I've never directed a Cthulhu campaign before, but I've had some great experiences as a player--someday I'll tell the story of Caleb McKay, intrepid journalist. But for now, I thought I would share with you John Wilbert Dill, a character I created for a late 1800s/early 1900s d20 Cthulhu game several years ago. Dill was an "Ordained Spiritualistic Medium and Minister of the Gospel of the Spiritualistic Church" and I remember reading a couple of books on the history of spiritualism before I made him up--the faith has a really interesting history and its aura of mysticism and gullibility seemed to fit a Cthulhu game quite well (I also thought seances would be a good way to get adventure hooks or meet interesting NPCs).

I honestly can't remember whether I actually ever played John Wilbert Dill though--I'm guessing not, because his character sheet is pretty clean. (doing research prior to character generation tends to be a bad omen for me--I once read some really boring books on Byzantium for a character in a historically realistic medieval game that ended up only lasting a single session).

NAME: John Wilbert Dill
ETHNICITY: Caucasian
AGE: 20
GENDER: M
HEIGHT: 6'1
WEIGHT: 190
APPEARANCE: Plain
LEVEL: 1
EXPERIENCE: 1
SAVINGS: $ 4000
SALARY: $ 1000
PROFESSION: Spiritualist
EDUCATION: High School

STRENGTH: 13 (+1)
DEXTERITY: 14 (+2)
CONSTITUTION: 7 (-2)
INTELLIGENCE: 13 (+1)
WISDOM: 14 (+2)
CHARISMA: 15 (+2)

FORTITUDE SAVE: -2
REFLEX SAVE: +4
WILL SAVE: +4

* Defence Option

CURRENT SANITY: 70 (Max Sanity: 99)

MELEE: +1 (fist: 1d3+1)
RANGED: +2

HIT POINTS: 4

FEATS: Sensitive, Spiritual Medium

RANKED SKILLS (all others base ability modifier only)

Bluff +4
Concentration: +2
Gather Information: +4
Innuendo: +3
Knowledge: Spiritualism: +5
Listen: +5
Performance: Seance +6
Read Lips: +3
Sense Motive: +6
Sleight of Hand: +4
Spot: +4
Psychic Focus: +6

NOTES

--sickly

--grew up & attended seminary at Central Massachusetts First Mission

"A medium is one whose organism is sensitive to vibration from the spirit world and through whose instrumentality intelligences in that world are able to convey messages and produce the phenomenon of spiritualism."

--charges $ 15/seance

No comments: